The price of West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil has surged higher more than 500% since the lows of the pandemic in March 2020. Demand for crude oil has rapidly increased as countries roll out the coronavirus vaccine and get their economies moving once again.
Oil prices received a further boost earlier this month after OPEC and Russia mutually agreed to not increase the output. This is after the supply curbs that were initiated by the countries to help rebalance the oil market after dropping to an 18-year low last year.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5, CRUDOIL, Monthly – Data range: from Jan 1, 2007, to Mar 9, 2021, performed on Mar 9, 2021, at 8:30 pm GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
Get our Weekly Commitment of Traders Reports: - See where the biggest traders (Hedge Funds and Commercial Hedgers) are positioned in the futures markets on a weekly basis.
Get Our Free Metatrader 4 Indicators - Put Our Free MetaTrader 4 Custom Indicators on your charts when you join our Weekly Newsletter
In the long-term, monthly price chart above it is clear to see the recent surge higher. However, from a technical perspective, the price now sits at historical horizontal resistance at ~$64.00. Sellers have turned up at this level in both 2019 and 2020.
We are now back at this level in 2021 and some traders may well be looking to enter short positions yet again. However, the context is very different now then it was in the past. Analysing price action for clues on whether sellers are likely to turn up again will be key.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5, CRUDOIL, Weekly – Data range: from Sep 10, 2017, to Mar 9, 2021, performed on Mar 9, 2021, at 8:35 pm GMT. Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
In the weekly price chart of WTI crude oil above, the horizontal resistance line is clear to see. While there are not many analysts with bearish views on oil prices, market positioning may become an issue as the market is heavily long.
Any small news announcement could, therefore, have a much larger impact. Traders may look for technical confirmations of sellers stepping at this horizontal resistance line by identifying double top patterns, indicator divergence, bearish engulfing bars and many other common reversal patterns.
Did you know that you can use the Trading Central Technical Ideas Lookup indicator to find actionable trading ideas on thousands of other instruments across Forex, stocks, indices, commodities and more?
You can get this indicator completely FREE by upgrading your MetaTrader 5 trading platform provided by Admiral Markets UK Ltd to the exclusive Admiral Markets Supreme Edition! You’ll also receive a whole range of advanced trading tools such as correlation and sentiment indicators!
Start your free download by clicking on the banner below:
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admiral Markets investment firms operating under the Admiral Markets trademark (hereinafter “Admiral Markets”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst, Jitan Solanki (analyst), (hereinafter “Author”) based on their personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.